Re: Home-made stuff

At 10:25 PM 10/18/2008, you wrote:
Some of you asked what the telephoto lens looked like that I made in the
1960's to photograph the freighter coming in to the Rochester harbor. Well,
I found the photos of the thing. It was actually a 360 mm Rochester Optical
Tessar 8x10 lens (maybe aerial?) and to use it on the Leica IIIg I first
built a reflex housing out of cardboard, glue and a mirror and rubber band
to power it up previous to exposure - as shown in this photograph:

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/a-misc/3-views-360mm-telephoto-1A.jpg

You know Leica makes a Visoflex to turn a rangefinder into an SLR ;-) I bought one fairly cheap on EBay and am now using my Leicas with macro and telephoto lenses. Works great! Looks like your cardboard version did, too, though.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com