Re: Out-of-date equipment

--- On Tue, 10/14/08, Robert Earnest <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ....With regards to knowing that you had a good picture
> immediately after
> pressing the shutter, I can attest to that. I carried a
> nikon full of Tri-X
> around for years hoping to be the next Friedlander and knew
> immediately the
> first time I managed to take a good shot.
>
> I had become accustomed to setting the exposure on the
> camera immediately
> upon entering any environment and constantly adjusting the
> focus to the
> things that were happening around me.
>
> After making the exposure, I checked my exposure settings
> and processed the
> entire roll of film based on that one frame.
>
> Sometimes you just know...

Exactly so. I often carried three Nikon rangefinders (later SLR's) loaded with Tri-X, each body with a different lens whose focus I preset. Manual everything; auto nothing whatsoever. For years I didn't even own a light meter. Didn't really need one with Tri-X and anyway who had the time to take a reading. No zoom lenses, of course. I don't think they had been invented yet. Ah, the good old days.

Wish I had kept my Nikon SP bodies. They're collector items now. By the way, my main influences when starting out were Gene Smith and Bob Capa.  Take care.

Richard