Re: Out-of-date equipment

--- On Tue, 10/14/08, MichaelHughes7A@xxxxxxx <MichaelHughes7A@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Getting back to the real topic I must say I am surprised
> that you claim to
> know, or have known, that you have a good picture  as soon
> as you have  pressed
> the button. With photographic film so much can and did
> happen between
> exposure and the completion of the printing process that
> the best that might be
> thought or said was 'I have a potentially good
> picture' at that point in the
> chain of events.
>
> Michael

There's nothing unusual about my statement. And I'm not saying it happened every time I pressed the shutter release button. But when it did, I knew I had the shot. Many experienced photojournalists and sports photographers of yore (my specialties) would tell you the same thing. Our livelihood depended on it because we usually worked with editors who were very unforgiving when it came to missing a shot. And this was long before cameras had "burst" modes or autofocus or autoexposure but other than that, I expect it's the same today. This was not art or scenic photography. This was capturing action. You got it right the first time because you seldom had a second chance.

I don't do that much photography of that sort nowadays even though the tools make it much easier now. But my shooting style, indeed my whole approach to the medium, hasn't really changed. Even my scenics tend to have some action in them. Of course, there's my grandchild, the perpetual motion machine. Being the "official" photographer in my extended family, it usually falls to me to take the pictures. She's as much of a challenge as that stuff I did decades ago. Take care.

Richard