Re: Out-of-date equipment

Robert Earnest wrote:
My opinion is that when it becomes so out of vogue and fashion as to be
unprofitable to manufacture the materials necessary, traditional silver
printing will go the way of the Dye Transfer process.

Can't resist -- here's a current opportunity to buy two new dye-transfer prints for a really bargain price. (The photographer is a friend of mine, but I have no financial interest in this offer).

<http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/10/ctein-dye-trans.html>

Your old negatives will be scanned and printed with whatever printing
process is currently in use. Our darkrooms will be as hard to sell as a
process camera would be today. Only the lenses will receive even the
slightest of interest.

I'm not sure darkroom equipment isn't already at the process camera level *today*.

Certainly I scan and print my old negatives with current technology!

With regards to knowing that you had a good picture immediately after
pressing the shutter, I can attest to that. I carried a nikon full of Tri-X
around for years hoping to be the next Friedlander and knew immediately the
first time I managed to take a good shot.

I had become accustomed to setting the exposure on the camera immediately
upon entering any environment and constantly adjusting the focus to the
things that were happening around me.

Yep, I remember working that way.

After making the exposure, I checked my exposure settings and processed the
entire roll of film based on that one frame.

Sometimes you just know...

I don't recall ever having that level of emotional certainty in an image myself.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info