Re: PF members' exhibit on 11-10-08

I figured, since I have some explaining to do on my monkey shot, I might as well throw in a review as well...it's been a while

Elson T. Elizaga - Footprint at the Estuary

Like a carving, forever etched in stone.  I am forced to think about how things that appear so permanent and fixed in our lives, may be easily washed away with our heads turned.  A colleague of mine recently lost his father, and it reminds me of how distant I am from my own home.  I simply couldn’t imagine the level of guilt that I might feel if I lost a parent and I wasn’t around to assist.  Excellent composition and I like how the leaf brings just a hint of more color.

Howard Leigh - Esther

Without the mention of the shooting conditions, the fuzziness would have bothered me more.  I would like to have seen the original to get an idea of the changes made.  I’m not that struck by it.

Valery Firsov - Ship`s Girl

I like the contrast of skin tone against the cooler blue and white.  The sheer fabric to the right is a touch distracting, but I’m not so sure how much I would like the shot if it weren’t there…tough one.  I keep finding my eyes wandering to the right, ignoring the gaze of the subject.  I really like to exposure and color, but the composition feels strange to me.

Lea Murphy – Ruth

Lea, this looks very natural, like she’s standing by a window on a winter’s day.  Although the light is soft, just a touch of fill could have been used on the left to bring out a little more detail in the shadow…maybe just enough to see that there’s an ear (or, perhaps, my monitor isn’t registering it) and to balance the shadow after the nose.  I like the color consistency in the image, the browns and reds give it a nice even warm feel.  If I weren’t so lazy, I’d invest in a studio kit...but i've forbade myself from buying anymore gear this year.

Marilyn Dalrymple -  (untitled)

I normally don’t like these images that use the PS filters, but the background information changed my opinion in this regard.  Putting it in the context of a cover for a local literature journal gives it much more body.  I’m now able to attach a schema to it, one I would be uninterested without.  I like the black emptiness contrasted by a small amount of light and electricity…there’s life there, Lancaster, Palm Dale, and LA.

Rene M Hales - Vista Clara

The archway looks like it’s made of rusting iron.  The background has an almost pointillist feel to it.  IR shots are always fun to work with, a favorite medium of mine.  Without the surrealism, it would just be a snapshot of a gate.  Good tonal range, by the way…not easy to do with IR.

Emily L. Ferguson - edge and icon

From water come mountains…let there be light!  A little flat for me.

Trevor Cunningham - no...

Just allow me to explain the title…I was very drunk when I posted this.  I have no recollection of what silly inside joke I was thinking about when I titled it.  Perhaps, “mom and baby” or “weaned” would have been better.  Sorry.

Andrew Davidhazy - Ontario freighter arrives in Rochester

Speaking of DIY…I’d be interested to know how you controlled focal length on this shot, not to mention getting such a crisp exposure for such a telephoto shot.  What size view camera was the lens a fit for?

"somewhere between zero and one...everything else is exaggeration" - Anonymous

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated Oct. 11, 2008. Authors
with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include: