Re: Ok so everyone seems to want lively debate (not flame wars)

Mark Blackwell says:

>Would I like to have IS? Sure but if I get it I might get a
>separate Ken Labs unit that would provide image stabilization
>for any camera, not just ones that I could use that lens on.

I used to tell people, "The only piece of photographic gear that single
handedly improve your images is a tripod."

I have a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM lens that I bought on the way to
the airport one day figuring I might need it for that particular project.
(Being a lifelong Nikon man, I had waited and waited for Nikon to catch up
with Canon's 1ds MarkII but they didn't. I had to have better quality gear
to remain competitive and so switched to Canon but couldn't afford buy
everything I wanted all at once so have bought lenses and stuff as needed.)

I always carry my medium and miniature format camera as carry on and decided
during the flight to see what all the fuss was about this Image
Stabilization feature. I have a pretty steady hand and so I zoomed in on the
seat numbers a few rows ahead of me and shot. Very low light and the numbers
were a little fuzzy but I felt pretty good about my abilities to wield this
cumbersome beast around and get the desired results shooting in low light
conditions. Then, I turned on the IS. HOLEEE SMOKES! I pushed the shutter
down and it was like the camera took a big deep breath and just settled
right down. It was remarkable.

They say that the NON IS version is cheaper and sharper than the IS version.
But I don't think you could resolve that additional sharpness on any camera
lens combination other than a Nikon 55mm macro shooting tech pan on a
tripod. You certainly can't see the difference on any DSLR.

I also have a Kenyon Labs KS-6 Gyro stabilizer that I used in conjunction
with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM while shooting from a Bell Jet
Ranger last year. I found that zoomed out to 200mm without the Gyro I
couldn't get a sharp image even at a 4000th of a second. With the gyro and
the IS function turned on, sharp as a tack. It is a remarkable thing to get
a sharp image at all through a telescopic lens while shooting from a
helicopter.

So, now I tell people, "The only piece of photographic gear that single
handedly improver your images is a tripod, a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS
USM and a Kenyon Labs Stabilizer."

Although just between ya'll and me, provided you stay out of helicopters, a
little practice holding your breath and a monopod will likely do you just
fine.