Re: A challenge

Yes, i bought a new lens and a used lens (the new was cheaper than the used), because i hunted around on second hand stores (my budget was very low as i told you)

Century Lenses, i recognized those ones !

I Bought a 500 mm f:8 lens very cheap (it was the old design, 50 cm long without automatic diafragm- no use for it anyway) you could see lots of those in Popular Photography magazine on last page ads.

About the article, all of that is right. In Portugal at the time (this was between 1992 and 2000) there was one photographer leaving off surf photo, the editor of the portuguese surf magazine!
All the others were amateurs that tried to sell photo for that magazine. In the Portuguese event of the world surf tour i could see pro surf photographers, the ones with 600 mm and 800 mm white Canon lenses :). But they were effectively more or less the ones that were emplyed by the major american, australian and european magazines. I felt a litlle bad with my equipmet from anothe age (My SLR was a Nikon FM2 without motor drive), but they just did the surf photos, i had to make all the rest.
Surf photography is a littlle limited, the photos that are published are always the same, the purpose of the magazine is to show the best manouvers of the best surfers on the best waves, a difeent quind of photo is never published, so if you like photography better that surf (i was not a surfer) you can get bored after a while.