Re: Film/Slide Scanner

At 12:51 31 08 2008, Stephen Buckman wrote:
You can try a Nikon CoolScan 4000ED or 5000ED.

I have several hundred/thousand slides and negatives I want to digitize. My plan is to pick up(ebay,etc) a used scanner and then sell the scanner afterwards. Any suggestions?
Bill Ellis

I have a Canon FS4000US scanner. It is 4000dpi, connects to the computer via USB or SCSI, and has carriers for scanning
   4 mounted 35mm slides;
   6 frames of 35mm film; and
   APS-C film (I have never used this latter item).
It importantly has a mechanism for detecting (infra-red scan I believe), and correcting for (using software), gunk on the film.

I think it works quite well, giving me good results.

BUT, it can take roughly 5 minutes per slide to scan (_including_ the de-gunking). My investigations at time of purchase, indicated this time was similar to other 135-film scanners, short of going to the mass-production models used where _that_ is the business.

http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/Canoscan4000.html

http://www.canon.com.au/products/scanners/scanners_low_medium_volume/canoscanfs4000us_support.aspx

Oh yes, there's still a place for the physical slide archive -- that's what filing cabinets and slide pockets are for.

--
&i (: