From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andrea Coffey
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:40 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: Film/Slide Scanner

At 12:51 31 08 2008, Stephen Buckman wrote:
>You can try a Nikon CoolScan 4000ED or 5000ED.

>>I have several hundred/thousand slides and negatives I want to
>>digitize. My plan is to pick up(ebay,etc) a used scanner and then
>>sell the scanner afterwards. Any suggestions?
>>Bill Ellis

I have a Canon FS4000US scanner. It is 4000dpi, connects to the
computer via USB or SCSI, and has carriers for scanning
    4 mounted 35mm slides;
    6 frames of 35mm film; and
    APS-C film (I have never used this latter item).
It importantly has a mechanism for detecting (infra-red scan I
believe), and correcting for (using software), gunk on the film.

I think it works quite well, giving me good results.

BUT, it can take roughly 5 minutes per slide to scan (_including_ the
de-gunking). My investigations at time of purchase, indicated this
time was similar to other 135-film scanners, short of going to the
mass-production models used where _that_ is the business.

http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/Canoscan4000.html

http://www.canon.com.au/products/scanners/scanners_low_medium_volume/canosca
nfs4000us_support.aspx

Oh yes, there's still a place for the physical slide archive --
that's what filing cabinets and slide pockets are for.

--
&i (: