Re: lightroom logic help

THIS IS SO GREAT!

Thank you all so much for all your help on this.

I'm totally excited about getting this set up to really work for me.

Lea

On Jun 6, 2008, at 6:39 AM, Pini Vollach wrote:

Hi Lea,

Yes, you are going the right way !
To my experience LR import from camera or from card reader to internal drives OK. I had problems while importing to external USB drive or to internal drive + backup to external USB drive.
( I don't know about Firewire )

When you shall fill the drive and swap it with another one it is easy:
Open LR, Library, Grid view (like many slides in the center window )
You will see on the right hand above each slide icons made of question mark + film
roll over one icon: "photo is missing"
Click on this icon for one of the pictures and a little window will open saying: "The photo "XXX-123" (for example) could not be used because the original file could not be found.
Would you like to locate it ?"
" Previous location: F:\DATA\.....\XXX-123" ( remember the file name !)
and buttons: "LOCATE"   and "Cancel"
Press "Locate" and find this same file on a new hard drive letter.
While you did it to one picture, LR automatically will do the work for all other images in the same file.
Keywords will operate as usual.

You can import your work images to one Catalog and your personal work to another. Under "File" press "New Catalog" give it a name. ( "Private" for example ) and locate on a hard drive. Now you have like two LR softwares. To change from one to another you have to go to: "File" , "Open Catalog..." It is not important to put the "Private" images on different drive because when you import images LR learn where they are stored.

Hope this help
Pini

babies. they're what i do.
www.leamurphy.com