lightroom logic help

I am a fairly long-time user and lover of Lightroom.

It pains me to say that I've never taken advantage of using it the way it really ought to be used which is to say as a cataloging program as well as a processing program and that is why I am emailing for advice. I'd like to change that.

I just purchased a new Mac Pro big beefy computer with scads of ram and heaps of hard drive space and I need some direction on how best to take advantage of the ability to catalog my images.

I have an internal 320 gig drive as well as two internal 500 gig drives. I have 8 external 500 gig drives. Storage space is not a problem.

In the past on my old computer, when I finished a shoot I would download the images to my one internal hard drive, import them into Lightroom from the desktop, have a look at them, make my picks, delete my bad shots and rank my keepers.

THEN I would move that folder to an external drive and back it up to yet another external drive then delete the images from my desktop.

This broke the link in the Lightroom Library to my images.

I'm trying to avoid that from happening again now that I have so much more internal space.

I can download direct to one of my 500 gig drives. Would that be the thing to do? What happens when that drive becomes full?

Here are my concerns: in less than a year I filled an entire 500 gig drive with client images. I am happy to continue buying more drives and swap out the old when it gets full but does Lightroom keep track of what drives images are on in the event I need to get back to an image on a drive that has been removed? If so, how?

If I keyword images as I go and then do a search for images of say, "kids with hats" will Lightroom direct me to those images even if they are on different drives, one or two of them perhaps not attached at the time the search was run?

I really appreciate any help anyone can give on this. I'm certainly happy to read about how to set this program up to really take advantage of it if someone can direct me to a site that gives good advice.

Thanks so much,
Lea

two wheels and a helmet
www.leamurphy.com