Re: this is a neat idea

"Emily L. Ferguson"

: Are you implying that SD cards are faster than CF cards?  If so, how
: is that figured?

not necessarily, but reposting the real world speed tests I did flash memory toolkit (freeware) which writes a file to the media then reads it back (leaving a series of files to delete) you can see below the Sandisk was beaten in speed by a tiny, cheap chinese micro SD card.  all were done on an internal USB card reader on the same USB bus after a clean boot

www.flashmemorytoolkit.com

No-name chinese brand SD card 2Gb
130x - write 8,807 kb/s, read 17,121 kb/s

Sandisk 4Gb UltraII CF card
78x  - write: 6,475 kb/s  read 11,178 kb/s

other results:

Sandisk microSD card (for a phone)
71x  - write: 4,438 kb/s read 10,228 kb/s

external hard drive -
5400 2.5" laptop HDD ina Vosonic X-Drive Pro
199x - write 4,321 kb/s, read 4142 kb/s

Kingmax USB stick (the teeny ones)
117x - write :1,444 kb/s  read 16,240 kb/s

Nikon (old!) 8Mb CF (EC-8CF card)
11x speed, - write :333 kb/s , read 1700 kb/s

I was surpised too given how little I paid for the SD stuff and how much I've paid in the past for expensive CF!

there are review sites all over the web showing some surprising speed figures which repetitively contradict manufacturers claimed speeds.  but that shouldn't surprise any of us now :(
karl