Re: this is a neat idea

: I just read about an SD card that transmits directly to any wi-fi
: network that you don't have to log in to.  I couldn't tell from the
: description in the article in the paper whether the transmitter was
: embedded in the card case somehow.

I posted info on that on that December last year:
Now, any camera that accepts an SD card can perform the same
trick. The Eye-Fi Wireless SD Memory Card with 2 Gigabytes of storage
embeds a chip-size transmitter that makes it possible for you to send
your pictures to a computer and one of 17 photo-sharing sites through a
wireless network. With the Eye-Fi Card ($99.99 B&H)

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/529317-REG/Eye_Fi_EYE_FI_2GB_Eye_Fi_Wireless_SD_Memory.html>

:
: I wonder about the USB prong, does it retract when you mount the card
: in the camera?

nope, it's within the physical size of the card - basically it's smaller than a standard SD

:
: Interesting that these things are only SD, however, since most pro
: cameras are still coming with CF as the standard.

professional is a funny term these days when it comes to cameras..  Sony's 24 Mp isn't considered a pro camera, but a 3mp Kodak once was.  Pentax with the ability to use lenses spanning almost 50 years isn't considered pro, neither these days is a Canon F1N nor a Pentax LX - both modular warzone cameras..

AF is professional, AE is professional, bracketting is professional.

but even so, as was said in the past, CF /SD card adapters are available quite cheaply allowing folks to use fast, cheap SD/MMC cards in CF media cameras.  Or even wireless cards ;)

Canon do make a CF wireless card but from memory it doesn't have the added 2Gb storage of the Eye-Fi

karl