Re: Sony's new flagship SLR

Well just clicked on a couple of websites and I didn't see anything about it being image stabilized.  Not saying its not, but I can't comment on that specific model.

Yet many lower end digitals claim it has an image stabilization.  It just as I pointed out is code in the software that bumps up the ISO and shutter speed for you making it look sharper.  I have seen this advertised in cameras as little as a couple of hundred dollars.  It basically a marketing ploy.

To put it in the body would be tough, but it can be done.  It would require gyros and gimbles to be in the body itself, and that takes power and bulk.  Moving the sensor would require incredible precision.  It would have far less room for error than doing it at the lens level.  Frankly I would suspect that's why Canon and Nikon both took the lens approach method.  Getting it to work consistently would be the problem.  Somethings and times it could work well and others not so.  Shifting the sensor you could be talking fractions of a millimeter being the difference between an award winner and a photo that gets tossed out at the first edit.

It would also open an entire new area of failure modes.  By putting the complexity in the body, if it fails you are done.  Put it in the lens and you can change lens.  Maybe its not what you want, but you aren't finished either.

Something hit me a little odd at one of those links.  They weren't marketing a 24 mp camera for pros and were open that it wasn't a camera for the real pro??  A real pro??  Ok whats the draw backs.  Maybe its slow.  Maybe its inconsistent.  That just isn't acceptable for a pro.  Its one to watch, but Id wait to see how it really turns out when it makes the shelves.

The extermal systems have all the gimbles and gyros in another unit with its own power source, like another poster mentioned.  They aren't cheap, but probably cheaper than buying all new IS lenses.  They aren't light either, but its a good reason to start your workout program.

Mark

karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mark Blackwell

Depends on how they came up with the so called stabilized body. Some of those systems in the body just take the reading from the meter and have the computer just up the ASA and shutter speed for you and call it a stabilized system. If that's what it does, I don't even want it on my camera.

really? I've never heard of such a thing -what cameras do this?

The sony shakes the CCD, just as the previous models did