RE: Sony's new flagship SLR

Yes,
In Canon and Nikon systems, the movement is tracked and compensated for by
moving lens elements.
In the Sony (And others) the compensating movement is not in the lens but at
the actual sensor housing.
A major difference is that you don't see the thing working and get that
reassuring flicker through the lens like you do in a VR or IS lens.

I don't often use zoom lenses these days but I do still love seeing that VR
kick in when zoomed in to 200mm, when I'm on a monopod shooting action!

herschel