Re: Sony's new flagship SLR

Mark writes:

:Well just clicked on a couple of websites and I didn't see anything about it being image stabilized.  Not saying its not, but I can't comment on that specific model.

it mentioned it in the quote I sent, all quoted from that link

here's more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stabilization

"[edit] Moving the image sensor:
The sensor capturing the image may be moved in such a way as to counteract the motion of the camera, a technology often referred to as mechanical image stabilization. Konica Minolta (Now Sony) used a technique called "anti-shake" now marketed as SteadyShot in the Sony ? line and shake reduction - SR in the K10D and K100D lines by Pentax, which relies on a very precise angle speed sensor to detect camera motion."

in the cheap P&S pentaxs:
http://shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/compact_digicams/0906digicams/

"camera shifts the CCD sensor module to compensate for movement detected by its two internal gyro sensors. (The module is on a moveable platform that allows for shifting the CCD in any direction.) This approach appears to be identical to the one that was used by the late lamented Konica Minolta in the Anti-Shake device used in some DiMAGE cameras" (these are now Sonys)

Stabilizer Evaluation: Considering the very slim, compact body, it's difficult to understand how Pentax crammed a CCD-shift Stabilizer into this camera. While the system sometimes provided sharp images during remarkably long exposures, it was not always consistent at more typical shutter speeds. Especially in close focus photography, it's worth shooting several frames of any really low-light scene when using the Optio A10. That should provide at least one photo that will be sharp and sometimes, all of the pictures will be technically excellent"

:To put it in the body would be tough, but it can be done.  It would require gyros and gimbles to be in the body itself, and that takes power and bulk.

Gyros need not be for preventing moving things, they can also be used for sensing, couple them to electromechanical drives and the effect of using heavy gyros is achieved at far less weight and lower power consumption.

:Moving the sensor would require incredible precision.  It would have far less room for error than doing it at the lens level.

I personally don't see how this would be so.  precision is required with both techniques, if you get it right it works, if your precision is less than incredible, it doesn't ;)

:Frankly I would suspect that's why Canon and Nikon both took the lens approach method.

or the Patent is held by someone other than them.. a more likely scenario

:Getting it to work consistently would be the problem.  Somethings and times it could work well and others not so.  Shifting the sensor you could be talking fractions of a millimeter being the difference between an award winner and a photo that gets tossed out at the first edit.

that seems to be the case in the cheap, tiny P&S's like the Pentax review above.

:It would also open an entire new area of failure modes.  By putting the complexity in the body, if it fails you are done.  Put it in the lens and you can change lens.  Maybe its not what you want, but you aren't finished either.

hmm, price the Canon IS lenses - the difference between them and the non-IS lenses (here in Oz at least) is close to the price of a replacement body.  Doing it in the lens makes a lot of sense as a manufacturer.  Sell one non IS body, cream the customers on IS lenses.  Much better than Konica/Minolta, now Sonys silly method of selling one IS body that you can stick 40 years worth of 'obscolete' lenses onto (!)

:Something hit me a little odd at one of those links.  They weren't marketing a 24 mp camera for pros and were open that it wasn't a camera for the real pro??  A real pro??  Ok whats the draw backs.  Maybe its slow.  Maybe its inconsistent.  That just isn't acceptable for a pro.  Its one to watch, but Id wait to see how it really turns out when it makes the shelves.

To date none of their other cameras have been slow.  it's full frame, it uses a CCD, it's image stabilized and it's almost 25Mp

Canon and Nikon are now selling CMOS sensored PRO cameras because the sensor is cheaper for them to make and fit..

Funny what peoples ideas of 'Pro camera' means :)
What was the name of that professional photographer who took out a prestigeous press photographer of the year award for his work in Africa with a consuler range olympus P&S camera I wonder..