Re: Dirty slides

The first thing you want to do is to scan them as insurance.  There are a number of  cleaners on the market, but soaking them in water is usually not the way to go.

First to get the dust off I would recommend a can of compressed air to blow off what you can.  Then there are products made just for such purposes.  Some use different things to do the job.  IIRC  PEC 12 was one. Edwal has an anti static film cleaner that is isopropyl alcohol based.  What else is in it I don't know.  It is surely not the stuff you buy that is in a 70 solution of water.  It very well may be a much higher percentage closer to the 99% pure that some drugstores will sell, but for me it never really has been worth the risks to find out.

Soaking could cause the emulsion to come loose from the base and you have a clean nothing.  One tip I have used in the past in this situation is look through the slides and find a few clinkers.  There are always some in the box that it wouldn't be the end of the world if something happened to them.  Use them to test the cleaning method.

Alexander Georgiadis <georgiadis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would also be interested in hearing the answer to this question. My guess would be to dis-mount them and soak  and rinse in distilled water, then scan using a Digital ice 111 scanner. But I would suggest you contact kodak and ask their advice.

Alex

http://georgiadis.googlepages.com/

On Jan 30, 2008 10:58 PM, Bob <w8imo@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob wrote:

> I was cleaning the basement today and buried in the corner was a box
> that contained, among other things, a bunch of Kodachrome slides from
> 1976.
> The slides are dirty with 30+ years of dust and grime.  I am looking
> for nondestructive methods of cleaning them.  This forum seemed like
> the best place to start asking for help and advice
>
> TIA,
> Bob

Oh, I forgot to mention that they are currently in paper mounts.

Bob

--
                          /////
                         ( O O )