Re: Photographers Still Using Film

Ken Sinclair wrote:

On 17-Jan-08, at 11:01 AM, James Schenken wrote:

Quality, film prices, and processing costs will eventually drive the large format folks to digital as well.

I am sorry, but I believe your statement below is not one with which many experienced large format
film users might agree.

Quite likely not, but are they knowledgeable about digital?

I have been using large format film for some 55 years, medium format for some 30, and 35mm for some 40-odd.... digital? .... a 6 year-old Nikon that gets used for quick'n dirty.

Somehow... (and I do not wish to rain on your parade), I believe that the end-use/economy/speed is not
always the factor used for the photographer's decision making.

No, it certainly is not.

However, I produced remarkably better photos with my Fuji S2 and my current Nikon D200 than I did with film, generally speaking. Lots of people have been moved to digital by *quality improvements* over their current position.

(This says nothing whatsoever about digital of any sort vs. large format film of course; I'm just trying to counter your nasty slur against digital shooters in general.)

and can go to bed at night believing we have been in 'control' from the beginning.

But, in fact, you are far less in control than I am with my current digital workflow. Enjoy your fantasy!

I did film and darkroom photography for 30 years before I ever touched digital capture, and the improvement in results going to digital can be huge. (I say "can be" -- I don't claim it inherently must be for everybody. And large format is the most obvious place where I can see good reasons to stay on the film side, though I'm not familiar with current MF and LF digital backs, which may have made film as obsolete as the DSLR has in 35mm.)

I knew we were in the end-times of film when I noticed that the astronomers had gone largely to digital capture even for Earth-based instruments. That was LONG before I ever got near digital capture myself.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info