Re: Photographers Still Using Film

Howard wrote:
Hello everybody!

How many photographers are still using film on the basis that it gives better results than digital?

One of my students, having worked in photographer's shop says that she was told all "professional" photographers still prefer film apart from photojournalists and sports photographers. (I'm excluding large format work here.)

That "fine art", Wedding, Social photographers all still use film because it's:
better quality and colours
and if a card is damaged you can lose 100s of photos whereas with a film you only lose, say 36 exposures (not much of a consolation for the distressed bride!)

I'd welcome comments fromn anyone who works in or is familiar with relevant fields

Weddings are nearly totally digital, except possibly a few remaining specialty providers using large-format and such. Basically, we have next-to-no professional use of 35mm film at this point.

DSLR-level digital has inferior resolution to 6x7 and 4x5 film, but can sometimes be enlarged bigger anyway because it doesn't have grain. Fine art is the main hold-out, and as much as anything that's because many practitioners can't afford the modern equipment.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info