Re: airports and cameras

Agreed. This is exactly what I do and it is fantastic. They almost walk you through security and have always asked me to lock my gear after they check it.

Someone has suggested that you buy a "starters" gun that shoots loud caps. It warrants the same process, then you don't have to carry an icky gun. ;)

Rob

On Dec 17, 2007 3:44 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robert Read wrote:

> I'm tired of carrying on all my gear when I fly, and I'm considering
> buying a modest Pelican case (or similar) so I can pack my gear safely
> and check it. But, I'm concerned about how secure it is, since they
> don't allow you to lock checked bags these days, at least in the US. A
> co-worker of mine just lost two laptops he checked on a flight last
> week. (Both his and his wife's bags arrived, but the laptops were
> gone, and the airline accepted no liability of course.)  Has anyone
> had any experiences, good or bad, with checking their gear? Any tips?

I would never consider checking computer or photo gear.  It seems to me
insanely stupid.

And that was *before* it was impossible to really lock your luggage.

If you can possess firearms in all states on your trip, packing a
properly-secured unloaded firearm in with the photo gear will probably
help; you have to check it in with the airline (NOT AT THE TSA SECURITY
POINT!!!!!), and somehow those bags seem to get taken care of much more
carefully; I know a lot of people who travel with firearms, and none of
them have ever lost one.   This is a semi-serious suggestion, but if
you're going to seriously consider doing it, make sure your knowledge of
the laws and procedures is up-to-date!  And if you own firearms, always
follow the safety rules!

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

--
Robert Hall