Re: airports and cameras

In the past, I've packed cameras in checked baggage from Atlanta to Washington National and Montreal-Trudeau.  I haven't had anything stolen.  I secured the bags with cable ties and tamperproof seals.  The cameras were Nikon F's from the late 1960's--I guess nobody thought they were worth stealing. More recently, I pack only the accessories.  I now take a large case and gate check it.  Since the case goes through x-ray like all the rest of my carry-on baggage, I can lock it at the gate. On arrival, I pick it up on the walk way. Gate checking is usually available on just about all airlines--it's how they handle large baby strollers and wheelchairs.

Bill