From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Read
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 4:53 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: airports and cameras

Hi,

I'm tired of carrying on all my gear when I fly, and I'm considering
buying a modest Pelican case (or similar) so I can pack my gear safely
and check it. But, I'm concerned about how secure it is, since they
don't allow you to lock checked bags these days, at least in the US. A
co-worker of mine just lost two laptops he checked on a flight last
week. (Both his and his wife's bags arrived, but the laptops were
gone, and the airline accepted no liability of course.)  Has anyone
had any experiences, good or bad, with checking their gear? Any tips?

Sorry if this is off-topic, but we can't take pictures if we don't
have the gear, and I'm probably not the only one here boarding a plane
in the near future.

thanks,
robert