Solid state SD cards back-uper?

At 9:42 PM +0000 11/21/07, Kostas Papakotas wrote:
well seems I am REALLY out of luck....
1- I do not wish to have a hard drive

That doesn't make any sense. These little hand held viewers have hard drives inside them when they get up around 10 Gig. Just the other day I asked a tech person when we were going to have 1Terabyte flash drives and he said probably never. Apparently engineers are finally reaching the limit of miniaturization of components around 8 Gig. Physics rears its ugly head. Interesting.

2- I do not wish to spend that much money

There you're out of luck. These devices are still pricey, even when they're out of production and on eBay. Look at the Epson P-2000. The price has held very well. The device is 4 years old and still selling for nearly its original price!

Even 8 Gig flash drives are quite pricey here in the States - nearly the same price as the Epson.

3- It is computer dependent

Yes. You can get free of the computer. However, most of the people I know have a Powerbook or Windoze laptop and a passel of memory cards and download their shoot to their computer afterwards through a card reader. It's very exhausting for the camera battery to service the transfer, so you really need a card reader. And the Epson or iPod type of viewer needs to be plugged in to power for a big download anyway.

As far as I know, card readers come in USB 2 only, except for CF cards. One can still purchase a Firewire CF card reader.

So, if you want to review your shoot while on the road, you have two choices. Bring a Powerbook or Windoze laptop and a card reader, or get one of the Epson type of image viewers with USB port.

I suspect that pros who are shooting studio-type assignments bring their Powerbooks or Windoze laptops with them for the shoot and just plug the camera directly into the computer for immediate review. Most portrait studios are doing that now.

Sports shooters, and I suspect people shooting the type of stuff you are, Kostas, just go back to the office or hotel and download into their computers there.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx