Re: PS script

: What I really would like is an editable text layer above the background.
:   I have thousands to do and it's part of a larger complex action.

Irfanview des not handle layers, it's more a gross image editor / batch
processor so if you'll need to edit the text constantly, a lyaer
application would be the best way to go

the thought was if it were a final step in a large process with a single
layered output image, and you had lots to do, whatever other steps could be
done elsewhere and the text addition as a final step could be done quickly
and lastly in irfanview

maybe this advice might help:
http://jingyeluo.blogspot.com/2006/10/photoshop-action-and-batch-to-waterma
rk.html