Re: A more outrageous question

karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mario Pires writes:

I never think of rules when i'm taking photos, i absorbed the technical knowledge i need to know for the style i'm most fluent with (reportage / music), and i never have to think about it againd, it becomes second nature. The photos have to look good in the viewfinder, or else i dont press the shutter. If you are thinking about rules, then you dont focus your minf on what's important, and that is making a picture that can cause an emotion.

Music is a perfect analogy!

learn to red music..
learn scales (boring as bat sh*t), arpeggios etc..

practice ad nauseum (!)

Thinking of my concert days, I'd be practicing with the orchestra for up to three hours a day

go home, practice the concert pieces for another hour..

THEN do my own practice - scales, arpeggios etc etc (ad nauseum) for another hour or maybe 2

sure most of it was just hard grind to keep me fluent and to keep my lip in, but you could easily spot the french horn player who did little/no practice! You really needed the practice if you wanted the stamina for a whole show.

As a former French Horn player, my record was 12 full hours behind a mouthpiece, much of it far more demanding than the usual stuff I had to play.   At 11 hours and 55 minutes I felt a pop in the lip.  Yep I had pulled the musical hamstring and was down for about 2 weeks of sheer pain.  Now the music analogy is a good one.  No matter how much heart one may put into something, no one cares if you can't play the notes. If you just play the notes, no one cares because anyone can do that.  It takes both to be good.

Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.