Re: A more outrageous question

Mario Pires writes:

I never think of rules when i'm taking photos, i absorbed the technical knowledge i need to know for the style i'm most fluent with (reportage / music), and i never have to think about it againd, it becomes second nature. The photos have to look good in the viewfinder, or else i dont press the shutter. If you are thinking about rules, then you dont focus your minf on what's important, and that is making a picture that can cause an emotion.

Music is a perfect analogy!

learn to red music..
learn scales (boring as bat sh*t), arpeggios etc..

practice ad nauseum (!)

Thinking of my concert days, I'd be practicing with the orchestra for up to three hours a day

go home, practice the concert pieces for another hour..

THEN do my own practice - scales, arpeggios etc etc (ad nauseum) for another hour or maybe 2

sure most of it was just hard grind to keep me fluent and to keep my lip in, but you could easily spot the french horn player who did little/no practice!  You really needed the practice if you wanted the stamina for a whole show.