Re: A more outrageous question

Well said Mark,

I've been thinking that it's a rare person who knows how to coat glass plates or film these days. The technology was taken out of the hands of the photograopher.

The zone system was fantastic when Ansel wrote the  books and I devoted an unbelievable chunk of time getting to know it and sensitometry too.

Now digital photogra[hy is here and camera manufacturers have honed metering down to a place Ansel Adams never dreamed of.
Aside from that you can bracket in 1/3 stops at no extra cost and preview your results instantly.

It's nice to think that there's still a place for fossils like myself who have all this science and technology but  the question is: "Do photographers, even professional shooters with digital cameras need all this information?"

Do the one's who have it still use it?

Mark Blackwell said:
As a former French Horn player, my record was 12 full hours behind a mouthpiece, much of it far more demanding than the usual stuff I had to play.   At 11 hours and 55 minutes I felt a pop in the lip.  Yep I had pulled the musical hamstring and was down for about 2 weeks of sheer pain.  Now the music analogy is a good one.  No matter how much heart one may put into something, no one cares if you can't play the notes. If you just play the notes, no one cares because anyone can do that.  It takes both to be good.

Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,
Higher College of Technology