Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: [SPAM] criticism and teaching

David wrote:

Actually, I thought the Avanti was a quite wonderful looking vehicle. Way
ahead of its time and unfortunately too late to save Studebaker. It's
designer was one Raymond Loewy, considered to be one of the most creative
designers. Beauty still is in the eye of the beholder.

I selected the Avanti delibrately as an example as I know a lot of people love it, a lot hate it - it looks a hybrid of classic American styling and European styling,, that to my eye didn't work. Alfa Romeo Montreal on the other hand is a car styled specifically for the American market which I think looked superb but wasn't a favourite of the Italians, and the 1971 Dodge Charger is (again to my eye) is an examble of American motoring beauty.

And here I am talking of car aesthetics and I didn't once mention a certain AMC :)