Re: PF exhibit update May 19, 2007

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated May 19 2007. Authors with work now on display at: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Rene M. Hales - Buddha in My Garden
Rather nice shot. I liked it much more in larger size; thumbnail didn't impress me. Tonality is very good and I like the effect. Polaroid?

Elson T. Elizaga - Hard Food
I'm not partial to kid pictures but I like this. When my kids were young I always thought I could see wisdom in their faces which disappeared with puberty. This shot reminds me of those days. Decently done and jogs the nostaligia nerve in me.

Tim Mulholland - Fox Pups
Very well done with med. format. Not the easiest thing for wildlife work. I'd like better lighting but, having done a lot of wildlife shooting, including fox pups, I know you have to take what you get for the most part. Maybe a little PS work would improve a good shot.

Roy H. Miller - untitled faces and lips
Interesting treatment for a decorative image. I can't say I react positively to it however. It is just too busy for me. A less complicated version might work better.

Roger Eichhorn - La Babida Monastery
I like this a lot. It has a nice feeling of tranquility and order. It would be interesting to try increasing the contrast of the light through the arches to see what that does to the feeling. Well done verticals which can ruin a photo quickly.

Emily L. Ferguson - Bobbi and Elizabeth
And this would be which one? I only find one figure. I like the idea but the overall softness bothers me. It has the appearance of a quick shot with a pocket digital so it may not have been possible but I would prefer to have the figure a little bigger and the composition rearranged to get the branches out of her face.

Guy Glorieux - 1822-1877 - Layton, NJ
Well, you have touched a soft spot for me, Guy. I love shooting in old cemeteries, actually cemeteries in general, and this is an image that I really like. I would take a touch off the right side but otherwise.......

Howard Leigh - Louvre, Paris February, 2007
Compositionally excellent. Conceptually excellent. The tonality really detracts from the appeal of the image for me. I want more density, contrast, saturation something to give it that extra visual punch. You have the basics for a classic image.

Kostat Papkotas - Red on Green
Nice minimalist photo. It lacks punch for me just like Howard's photo. It is just too pastel. It probably is a faithful reproduction of the original but I want a little more verve. Darker sky, more contrast maybe. Good idea though.

Steve Shapiro - Tree of Light
I like the scene but don't see the light that you undoubtedly were struck by. Perhaps the toning destroyed the luminance you wanted to show. I'd like to see the photo with more work done to enhance the light aspect.

Overall, in my view, this is a very good gallery. They have all been much better of late now that people seem to be taking an interest again.
Don