: > confused by it.  Perhaps I need to take the time to understand it.

From: "ADavidhazy"
: The "sharpness" of lenses is expressed in many different ways but a
common way
: is to characterize them by line pairs per millimetre at the image.

<clip>..
: Depth of field is usually not connected with lens sharpness.

Additional thoughts about other factors affecting sharpness:

Motion of the camera during exposure.
Motion of the shutter (focal plane being the worst)

Diffraction caused by the shutter (focal plane again being the worst)
- using flash can overcome this.

Diffraction caused by the iris
- shooting at the 'optimum' aperture can overcome this.

Shooting wide open (generally)

Lens flare lowering contrast, therefore sharpness.
- cheap fix with a lens hood.  The cine guys (who's exposures are generally
viewed REALLY big know the benefit of a compendium lens hood which blocks
ALL but the image forming light.

A dirty front element.  This causes flare thus lowered contrast thus lower
sharpness.

Unnecessary filters.  Additional internal reflections causing lowered
contrast >lower sharpness.