Re: [SPAM] Ned Lud...(was postcard/lable)

dave6134@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
At 04:09 AM 4/12/2007, you wrote:

...............My wife won't even look at a computer...everything is written onto paper. A female Luddite!

Howard

That would not be an altogether bad thing. All Ned Lud (Ludd) of Nottinghamshire wanted was a living wage, decent working conditions, and a product of a quality that a worker could be proud of so why does Luddite now have such negative conatations?

History has not been kind to the clumsey lad who only ever broke a couple of weaving machine frames and and never looked back.

DLSD
Hmm, you seem to have more knowledge of Ned Ludd than any source I can find on the web. The most common story, after the one which says he didn't exist, was that he broke some equipment through ineptitude. He was often blamed thereafter for any broken machinery. As the movement against technology arose it was a common practice to say "Ned Ludd" did it. He became the inspiration for the movement but was not the founder. He was also called General Ludd and King Ludd. Interesting story.
Don