Re: Anyone visit the PF gallery this week?

People on this list have been quite helpfull and I've been remiss in not
giving back to this community.  Perhap's this amature's opinions of the
gallery images will be of some use.  I've never critiqued anyone's work
in a public forum.  I hope I have not clumsilly insulted the artists.

Desert Sky by Allan Rosen-Ducat:
The texture, color, and fading toward the edges give an ominous feel to
this image.  The short focal lenght elongates the image toward the edges
making it appear that the center bulges toward the viewer, enhancing the
effect.  This is a very emotional image.

Untitled by Karl Shah-Jenner:
Very attractive use of color against the stark background.  Inclusion of
the pedal that extends to the right helps to drive the viewer to the
yellow pollen.  The equipment that took this image adds a fun element of
suprise.

Breaking Sun by Laurenz Bobke:
The great contrasts between the brightly lit cloud edges and the dark
shadows of the interiors tied together by the sun's rays stretching to
the ground is always a crowd pleaser.  This image stands out a little
for the letter-box framing provided by the cloud at the top of the image
and the dark ground below.

faces by Trevor Cunningham:
Interesting shadows but no real emotional content.  Usually shadows
provide either an anxious feeling or mystery.  It works to some degree
as a curious abstract and could hang on a wall if the bright area of
this image complemented something else in the room.

Petroglyphs by Don Roberts:
Excelent use of warm colors.  The small patch of green gives some
contrast.  The view from above seems to minize the content of the carved
images making them feel less important than the viewer.  A lower viewing
possition may give more importance to the carvings, but might lose the
contrasting green.  I think the round carving near the middle of the
image is the Starship Enterprise.  I don't recall Kirk encountering
people from that far back in time.  That scene must have been cut from
the time travel episode.

Wealth gone mad by Emily L. Ferguson:
I don't get this one.  The lighting is little ominous.  But other than
that it's more of a documentary image than a statement.  If it does
comment on human failings I see vanity and pride more than greed as
implied by the title.

Leviathan by Buy Glorieux:
A classic cityscape.  This can be proudly displayed in the offices of
that city.  The technical skills needed to create this image are beyond
me.  The larger light area of the concrete building on the left is
nicely ballanced by the smaller but brighter buildings to the right.
The small lights sprinkled throughout the image draws the eye to various
details that would otherwise go unnoticed.

Norooz - Eid-e Shoma Mubarak by Kombizz Kashani:
The elements of this collash mostly stand alone and do not support
eachother.  Only the flower and the pink area effetivly go together.
Without the writeup I would not have seen the concepts of renewal,
spring or celebration.  Perhaps the writting, which I do not understand
or the other symbols highlight these concepts.  I may lack the cultural
background to appreciate the intended effect.

Feet by Chris Strevens, LRPS:
I don't get it.  From the description I assume the intent is to put the
viewer in the subject's possition as the person staring at his feet.  I
think I understand the concept intelectually, but I just don't feel it.

Barcelona by Pini Vollach:
I don't get this one either.  Is it a study in color contrasting the
bright but shadowed posters with the more muted by well lit background?
Does the building in the background have some relation to the bull
fighter in the poster?  Perphas this is more a documentation of the
moment and would benifit from a description of the scene.

Tim Corio