Re: Anyone visit the PF gallery this week?

Andy,

Yes, I did, as I usually do.
And usually get some fresh impressions.
It is, usually, that I click it when exhausted from some really exhausting day.
I get my vitamin to live a bit longer.
Being exhausted I usually do not want to analyse or comment, because it would be a dreary piece of literature.
Who would care of such?

But well, OK, here it is:

Desert Sky by Allan Rosen-Ducat is holding this classic photo value, that is mostly missing from contemporary photographic world. I have the darkroom feeling.

The stamina by Karl Shah-Jenner are gracious, but something is wrong with the light - it feels too dark. There should be veeeery slightly more glow on and around the peripherial subjects. They seem to be slightly out of reach.

Breaking Sun by Laurenz Bobke is offering that 4-dimensional hole in the sky, that so often paralyzes us if we are lucky to be there (I have to fight with the wish to "jump into the well" usually :). Lights of the sky are OK, but the ground is too dark, or perhaps more correctly, too flat to allow it be so dark. Either details or more interesting silhouette is missing. There should be something as a "counterweight".

Faces by Trevor Cunningham is a nice abstract image, enough space and time to contemplate. Funny, but it is reminding me the Scary Movie.

Petroglyphs by Don Roberts is offering some positively and calmingly natural colour, but the composition is too editorial. Principally it is OK, but then some more story is needed.

Wealth gone mad by Emily L. Ferguson. Yes, indeed, it is gone mad and is driving us in the very same direction. Into this "modern" image perhaps some "postmodernity" should be added, but perhaps not. Madness is madness is madness anyway.

Leviathan by Guy Glorieux is technically almost a perfect image. Light, contrast, parallel lines. All are nailed. Some balance problems perhaps between lighted right and dark left side, the cutoff reflections down right and the crane constructions too close to the left edge might be the minuses. It is definitely the picture "to walk into" when on the wall. But I think the right place of it would be in some large format coffee-table travel album.

Norooz - Eid-e Shoma Mubarak by kombizz Kashani is interestingy fresh - I think due to the black-and-white historic portion opposed to the colour portion, while both parts are complementing each other. The result is pleasing and informational at the same time. Plus the story.

Feet by Chris Strevens - in some moment or another several of us have done this picture. How it can be individually specific, is very nicely written in Pete MacCarthy's book "MacCarthy's Bar" (the chapter when he is in St. Patrick's Purgatory on Lough Derg and has to watch lots of bare feet continuously).

Barcelona by Pini Vollach - seems to be really "barcelonish" (don't know - haven't been there, although should visit the agefotostock office some day), but the people cut by the frame should be more totally "in" and do something more provocative to be in balance with the matadore.

Wasn't too hard, although too often "balance" was creeping into my repertoire. Don't know why.

Take care!

Peeter

The topic line of this message is just a "rhetorical" question ... there are 10 photographs on display and they are scheduled to be updated this weekend and so far I am not sure there has been any constructive banter about the images! Note that there are only 2 contributions (Leigh and Ferguson) for next update. In case you want to see the PF gallery find it at:

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html