Re: Gallery

Marilyn Dalrymple wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have to get my .02 cents worth in concerning the critiques of the gallery.

I think positive critiques can be helpful and some people are just naturally soft or positive, however you want to look at it. But, why would this stop the people who want to give tougher critiques from commenting?

There will always be those who are tough with their critiques and bless them, they are helpful if their comments are truly given in the spirit of teaching.

Unfortunately, there will always be those in life who can be cruel. I find that being harsh is rarely helpful and some people don't seem to understand when they cross the line between being tough and being cruel.

I stopped critiquing because more time was spent on critiquing my critiques than the work in the gallery.

Marilyn
Agreed, of course, that some will always be cruel and I detest that also. But one can be honest about their opinion. Aesthetics is, after all, really only opinions. In spite of all the learned verbiage it boils down to "Do I like it or not?" The reasons can be just instinctive or technical or political or idealogical or lack of understanding etc. There are many reasons and most of us understand that a critique is saying "This is not the way I would have done it.". I have been showing pictures for over 50 years and have had raves and have had complete derision. Either way I learn from it, I hope. Sometimes the lesson is that this is the wrong audience for my work. That may be why some have left or maybe not. The reviewing does take time and the reviewers tend to come and go. I am not trying to criticize you Marilyn because I have seen your critiques for a couple of years now and I am sure you are trying to be helpful. Sometimes, there just isn't much positive you can say about an image but if you ignore it the artist feels slighted and takes offense. It's not easy and that is why I also ebb and flow with my critiques and submissions. I was just noting that we have lost the most aggressive and outspoken members here and I regret it. Tension sometimes is a good thing.
Don