Re: Image search utility

Thanks for the reference to "dupelocator" Karl.

After doing some experimenting, with both "ImgSeek" and "dupelocator", I found "ImgSeek" far superior for my specific needs.
http://www.imgseek.net/

With Dupelocator, I ended up being swamped with files that were not relevant and which I could not really make a decision on, since it would only show the filename and location.

By contrast, ImgSeek allowed me to select one reference image and search for similar files. Both the reference image and the search findings are shown as thumbnails, making it very easy to visually identify the one image being searched for. I could also select the number of files I wanted the program to show as search findings, thus zeroing in on the closests. But, with a wider range, the findings always presented some very "surrealist" findings at the bottom of the list. A great tool for creative associations...

A very interesting feature is the little window where you can sketch an image with your mouse. So, if all you can only remember of an image is what it globally looked like, the program will find the best matches to the rough sketch!

I played a bit with that function. Drawing a face progressively from just a mouth and adding eyes, nose, eyebrows, chin, ears, hair, mustache, beard, the program eventually zeroed in on a series of portraits of a colleague I made last year for a project of his and which I had completely forgotten were stored on my hard drive! Would you believe... It was the hair, mustache and beard (all in light grey, since the person was mostly grey-haired) which turned the selection around... Without the hairy attributes, the search focussed on a lot of people images: kids, family, strangers (photographs of me also included!), plus several completely irrelevant selections.

Of course, when I tried the second time, the results were not quite as good! But then the drawing was not half as good either...

I have yet to test all the features of this terrific tool, but I'm absolutely sold on it at this point. It is a completely free freeware (donations accepted) and is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux!

http://www.imgseek.net/

Regards,

Guy

----- Original Message ----- From: "karl shah-jenner" <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx