Re: Adobe in Photoshop freebie

Bob writes:
: There is no way in hell that I would store my personal household
: information anywhere but on MY hard drive!  With the abilities the
: hackers have shown us they have why would anybody want their information
: stored anywhere else?

good point, and one Australias second largest online auction site found out
recently..

here's their notice on the front page when I visited last week:

22nd February 2007

At this stage the future of AusAuction is in the hands of it's past
members.

Late on the 18th January, whilst setting up AusAuction on a faster server
and prior to updating the site software, we ran a process which
inadvertently deleted the database.

Since February 2005 we've employed a Brisbane company Webhost DSA Pty Ltd
to back up our database server nightly.

We contacted their Support Desk early on the 19th to gain access to the
backed up database. We we're told that they had partially recovered the
database from the tape backup but the backup was corrupted and they would
attempt to repair it

On Monday 22nd we were informed that the backup service had been
decommissioned over 12 months ago, and that they'd informed us at the time
and removed the monthly fees for the service from our account.

Neither is true, they didn't inform us that the service would cease, nor
did they remove the monthly fees for the service from our account.

Apparently the original backup system had not been turned off and still ran
nightly. Therefore there was a backup which was so badly corrupted that, in
their opinion, nothing useful could be recovered.

On Thursday 25th I finally managed to speak to the managing director of the
company and asked whether or not the database could be recovered if more
expertise were employed or if it was irretrievably lost. He said he'd get a
data recovery company in Melbourne to examine the backup but that we
shouldn't hold out much hope in that direction. He thought that there might
be a possibility of recovering the deleted file from our database server
and that attempts at this would be made by his staff.

To date no useful data has been recovered.

In retrospect, we should have made our own backups but when professionals
are contracted to perform a service the expectation is that it will be
done. Legal action will follow.

We have a copy of the database backup that we made in February 2005 prior
to delegating the responsibility to Webhost DSA Pty Ltd, we'll extract
membership details from it and apply those details to the new site.

In due course we'll contact our 5000+ registered members (as of February
2005) to let them know that the site is back in business

The location of AusAuction has changed, it will be located at
www.ausauction.com.au.

During the restoration period the site won't be available to the general
public. It will only be available to past sellers in order for them to
re-list their items.

If you wish to join as a seller please Contact Us Contact UsContact Us

Brian Morgan

AusAuction