Re: Jewelry Photography

Elson T. Elizaga wrote:
I have recently read that jewelry photography is difficult. I plan to buy a book on this subject soon, but would like to get your comments first. Why is it difficult? More difficult than taking pictures of children? :)

Very commonly, jewelry has planar, concave, and convex shiny surfaces, and often *also* contains transparent and refractive materials. This means it's about the most exciting lighting challenge out there.

Then it's small, so you're doing close-up photography at the same time.

On the other hand, unlike children, it sits still, and it doesn't throw temper trantrums, and so forth.

So depending what's hard for you, maybe easier, maybe harder.

Your practice with children will be of *very* little use with the jewelry :-).

Here are a few sets I did for a local jeweler, mostly before I had the first DSLR.

http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/Elise's%20Jewelry/

http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/Elise's%20Jewelry%20August%202002/

http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/Elise's%20Jewelry%20July%202002/

On the other hand sometimes it's easy, if it's big enough and you have good enough models

http://dd-b.net/cgi-bin/picpage.pl/photography/gallery/Elise%2012-Mar-2003?pic=ddb%2020030312%20010-132

http://dd-b.net/cgi-bin/picpage.pl/photography/gallery/Elise's%20Jewelry%20on%20Sarah?pic=ddb%2020030421%20800-37

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@xxxxxxxx; http://dd-b.net/dd-b