Re: Lighting glass

I do a fair amount of glass photography for one client and I have had great success shooting and avoiding glare by surrounding the glass with black fabric.

(Imagine being in a shower with a black shower curtain. the curtain at your back, the object you're shooting in front of you.)

This will really, really help cut down on the amount of reflections you have to deal with.

By the way, most of what I shoot for this client are very, very large pieces...she's a carved glass artist and her work is used to make doors and wall panels so it gets a bit crazy at times! Also, when I shoot for her I wear all black...including black gloves...so I don't reflect.

This page will show you some close up work I've done for her, shot the way I describe. I used two flashes and umbrellas making sure not to get specular highlights on the glass.

Lea