Re: Blowing-up a file

Thanks Greg and all.

In the end, here is what I have done:

I scanned a 11x14 print I had made some years ago on my Epson 4490 scanner, with settings set at 500dpi and output dimension 200% of original. I had to do two scans to be able to cover the whole print and I subsequently joined the 2 files into a complete picture.

Each file was 247Mo and the final merged file was 365Mo (12718 x 10021 pixels). I cleaned the picture from all the dust spots and made the appropriate adjustments (contrast, color, etc...).

I took the file to a commercial printer specializing in digital images printing. He produced a truly first-class 44"x54" print on HMA 308gr paper. The print hangs on my wall for visitors and clients to see the possibilities with this kind of image format.

Well worth the price and effort. The next step will be to compare that print (from a scanned silver print) with a print made directly from a negative scanned and resized to 4x5 feet. That will be the real test.

Regards,

Guy