Re: reality check

On 12/14/06, lea murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]
Why do we drive ourselves nuts having multiple copies of digital files?

I know hard drives fail. I also know darkrooms flood and houses burn.

What do you guys think of this? One copy and take our chances...just like in
the old days with film.

Lea,

Yes, one could drive themselves nuts trying to figure out what to do about backing up files. I backup to DVD (never has one failed as of yet) and to 2 hard drives to be on the safe side. However if these are all kept at your studio you could lose everything as I did in 1998. A tornado happened along and 24 years of film records were lost forever, but 2 years of digital files were safe. I had copies stored at home on CDs.(I began digital shooting and film scanning in '96)

You could take a chance with one copy, but why when it is so easy to make at least a second copy?

Cheers,
Dave

Oh..... and I have had 1 HD die on me. Remember they are mechanical and will eventually come to
a grinding halt one way or another.