Re: reality check

14 dec 2006 kl. 16.34 skrev lea murphy:
...Why do we drive ourselves nuts having multiple copies of digital files?

I know hard drives fail. I also know darkrooms flood and houses burn.

What do you guys think of this? One copy and take our chances...just like in the old days with film.

Lea

Matter of frequency, and of expediency.

Hard drive failures are several magnitudes more frequent than fires and floods.

Making a second copy of a hard drive is several magnitudes cheaper and easier than making dupes of an entire archive of silver negatives.

Personally, I keep three different copies of everything:

1) My working one, in a drive within the computer enclosure.

2) My regular backup, on a Firewire drive in a strongbox in my basement.

3) A set of DVD´s, off site (in case of that fire or flood...).

Not much work.  No great cost.  Lots of security.

Just make sure you look at your copies now and then, and redo them if they should deteriorate (hasn´t happened to me yet).

Per

Per Öfverbeck

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?"