Re: reality check

You bring up a good point, Lea.

I think a lot has to do with the largely non-physical properties of digital
media. I heard somewhere that whenever a massive series of zeros and ones is
copied, a few ones turn to zeros and vice-versa. The illusion of permanence
is a strong factor in today's world. Everything degenerates, from film to
magnetic media, to some degree. My negatives and slides have, in the past,
been stored in a non-functioning (modified) dorm refrigerator left by the
curb in one of my former neighborhoods, effectively water- and fire-proof.
My best work has been scanned and saved in several locations on separate
drives and CDs. Some time ago I noticed that some of the CDs had
deteriorated around the inner and outer edges, which raised the issue of
reburning, and more to the point, the awareness that maintaining current
copies is necessary, even for something previously believed to be more or
less permanent.

An aside here: Would burning a CD with an enormous "gibberish" (text?) file
preceding the images prolong their integrity in the event of inner-track
decay? If the text file is damaged, nothing worthwhile will be lost, but I
don't know if that would hinder the disc's map from being able to find the
"good" files. It's really not my area of expertise...

Another reasonable solution, which satisfies the tangibility-of-images
dilemma is, of course, to make the very best archival prints possible from
the digital files and store them as you would original
negs/slides/4x5s/prints/whatever. A duplicate set could be sent off-site,
preferably to a trusted faraway relative in case of a local or regional
catastrophe.

Hmmm. Just thinking via the keyboard.

Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA