Re: reality check - Proposed scheme

Because as David noted, it takes a media safe to keep the temperature within a safe limit ( no pun intended ). Fire safes are designed to protect paper not electronic media. Inexpensive ones are likely not to be water tight so electronic things inside such as disk drives, will likely be subject to wet conditions.

Keeping CDs in ziplock bags is a good idea in general if temperature is not an issue. They will need to be inside one of those crystal cases that keep anything from touching the data surface, not loose inside the bag nor in one of those flexible envelopes that are supposed to be CD safe ( I ruined a whole set of CDs for which I didn't have any other backup copy last year storing them that way. The enclosure had a chemical reaction that etched the CD surface over about 25% of the disk area. I was extremely fortunate to be able to polish the surface enough to be able to get one good read and recover the data - now there's three backups for them on hard drives and another set on CD.

For really valuable cameras, you should think about Pelican cases. They are fiber glass and have water tight seals that are also air tight - just thing for environmental hazards like hurricane damage and lots of water falling everywhere <grin>

see: http://www.casesbypelican.com/pelican_Camera_cases.htm

There must be other vendors out there that offer similar cases.

For the truly paranoid among us about backup and reliability, there is RAID technology that can deal with all sorts of error conditions. Nice article on this is in Wikipedia at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks#RAID_1

I'm not quite that fearful but it does seem to answer a lot of backup questions concerning data error and loss local to the computer. (But you still need off site, etc.).

Cheers,
James