Re: reality check - Proposed scheme

Lea:

Most of the comments were right on point.

However, since the cost of hard drives is dropping almost by the minuter, why not just take hard drive "A", copy to "B" and then send "A" offsite for safe storage at another location and replace it with a new drive "C".

Assuming your images average 10MB each on disk, 500GB ( 500,000MB ) holds something like 50,000 images. A replacement 500GB drive must be under $500 so the cost of this storage is about 1 cent per image - a trivial cost to insure the integrity of the image.

Perhaps you could find a friend / business associate who would be willing to swap offsite custodianship with you so you hold their disk and they hold yours.

Given the fragility of computer media of all sorts, I think that the following is a reasonable scheme for backups the balances cost, convenience, and efficacy.

1 copy in the computer - direct access.
1 copy in the computer room - USB / Firewire access.
1 copy in a safe in the building / residence.
1 copy offsite far enough away to be immune to a common disaster like a flood or a tornado.

That means equipment cost to provide backup storage media would run something like 5 cents per image - not too large a number.

The one in the safe should be considered protected from water and / or storm damage but not from fire damage. Most safes available to ordinary folks are fire rated to protect paper. So if the interior only gets up to 350 degrees F., the contents are considered safe. I doubt that any computer storage media would be completely intact after sitting for an hour or so at 350 deg. certainly no CD or DVD would survive that. Offsite protects against fire.

That being said, my own condition is backing up to the first 3 on the list and getting a safe and a fourth hard drive is on my to do list. When I get that, I'm looking for an offsite custodian who would supply a safe at their location for my stuff and theirs and share the safe at my location for their offsite storage.

For my really crucial images for which I can't bear the possibility of loss, I already have about 10 copies distributed across the country to trusted places but that amounts to only about 12 CD's full of data. Which reminds me I have to burn a new set and send them off - CDs don't last forever and need to be recreated from time to time.

Cheers,
James