Re: DPI-was Image cathedral at Les Baux

Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
At 7:37 PM -0800 12/4/06, Herschel Mair wrote:
If you want to speed up the process, you should "Save for web" in Photoshop.

FILE>SAVE FOR WEB

If you do this, however, all your IPTC and EXIF info is stripped out and your image runs the risk of falling into the orphan works category which is not worth the risk, in my opinion. Alternatively, if your file is so huge that you really have to strip that info out, your filename really needs to have the standard copyright signifiers in it.
I know you're probably using a MAC so the suggestion below may not work. But Photoshop isn't the only way of preparing a file for the Web. For example I use xnview. This is a viewer similar to irfanview. If I down size to a web size, I use a preset size 800 * 600 pixels at 72 ppi. This preserves all IPTC and exif data.

Can't i-Photo do this or similar?

Another elderly program I have used, Fotostation will also write IPTC data as a batch process to all jpeg files. No idea whether that's still available for a MAC

But in any case, surely a web sized image the quality is far too low to be worth stealing? You can't do anything bigger that a 4*6 print without losing detail, in my experience. And the original image still has the copyright data embedded. Does that not control the question of "orphanned works" where the original image is concerned? I'm not familiar with US law on this.

Howard