Re: going back to 4x5

I saw some black and white masters' original prints at
a gallery in santa fe this summer...the thought of
that photoraphy making me yawn doesn't make sense to
me anymore...my gallery submission this week is a
half-assed attempt to try and do something amazing as
well...perhaps it's my inability that drives me
--- SteveS <sgshiya@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Interesting observation.  You're not alone.  After
> coming to the same
> realization just a couple years ago, the exception
> being Brett Weston's
> landscapes; I lean toward Eugene Atget's
> photography.  Important
> archetecture, only when the light is unusual, and
> 'sign of the times' people
> on the [significant] streets.
>
> He'd set up his [4X5] pointed and focused, stand on
> the street [corner] and
> wait for whatever crossed into the frame before
> firing the shutter.  He'd
> stand and while friends would come up and chat, he
> kept his eye on the
> chosen scene, frame in his mind -- I guess you could
> say pre-expoosure, heh,
> heh pre-visualized -- and make the exposure when
> something happened.  Then,
> pick up the camera and move to another spot.
>
> I tried that in Carmel.  Tourists and especially,
> tourists with their
> doggies make for fun pictures.  Even then, it seemed
> like all I got were
> frame fillers.  You know, those cutsie pictures you
> see in a frame in the
> frame shops.
>
> Many of the great photographers see Ansel's pictures
> -- 40,000 proofed
> negatives -- as calander/postcard pics; but the
> spectacular ones, while
> fewer that greater, are truely icons of photography.
>  Not withstanding his
> advancements on the techniques of photography.
>
> All too often, after some time, we all get the
> 'ho-hum' about our art.
>
> Still making pictures,
> Steve Shapiro

  "The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
   The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer