Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 11:40 AM
Subject: going back to 4x5

There's something romantic about hauling out the old Sinar 4x5 P-Expert kit and the 50lb tripod, loading another 20 lbs of film-holders and piling it all into
the jeep in search of the lost landscape....

Ansel's images filled me with awe over 25 years ago. I thought he was too good to be from this planet. I lived, slept and dreamed the zone system for years. I taught it with such enthusism too. I'd spend whole weekends in the darkroom
without sleep and love it

Now I look at those same images and find that I've grown out of them. I've
moved on. I don't know when it happened... But I now look at half of Ansel's
and 70% of my work from the 70's and 80's and ... YAWN.

They're still a part of me and I apprreciate all they gave me, but I don't know
if I want to go back there.

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,
Higher College of Technology