Re: Winds of change (was Posting)

[Disclaimer: not aimed at anyone, or even exclusively the List membership]

Jeff Spirer wrote:

> Before Photoshop, the time was spent in the darkroom, no different
> than today...

While I agree largely with this point of view, I offer this:

The amount of time spent these days during the post-shoot phase probably
equates to the hours staring at a piece of print paper, either under an
enlarger or slowly awakening in a tray of Dektol. However, it is the vastly
contrasted nature of the two processes which elicited my comments.

Back then (not so long ago for some), the editing process involved little
more than control over exposure (both general and local), contrast, and
cropping; ultimately, the final print was simply a fine-tuned version of the
original in-camera image. However, in these Adobe-infused times, where the
fine-tuning is executed in a fraction of a second in many cases,
photographers are finding themselves spending the remainder of the time
otherwise spent in a darkroom recreating the original image over and over.
No longer is it a matter of adjusting levels. Now, a single exposure can
yield dozens of different variations, complete with entire regions of the
image being obliterated or downright fabricated.

Yes, I am well aware of Oscar Gustav Rejlander's "The Two Ways of Life",
printed in 1857, from some 32 wet collodion negatives. There are exceptions,
and there always will be.

My original point is that I feel many people are being so distracted by the
myriad options they have with any single original image, they are spending
too much time finding them all, thus neglecting new ideas and denying the
birth of the "Next Great Photograph." As a result, we as a society could be
seeing fewer new truly creative works, and more rehashings-with-a-twist of
older ones.

> I can't imagine anyone telling Avedon to forget about the
> hundred local corrections that would go into his prints,
> just shoot and send the film over to the lab.

I believe Avedon would have cringed at the thought of submitting his work as
it was shot. I'm not discounting that. The "local corrections" were done to
ensure that his stark white backgrounds were solid white, and that his
subjects in black and white were given the respect of exhibiting a full
tonal range.

At the same time, I believe he would have likewise cringed at the suggestion
to add lens flare to the image, or to clone part of a gentleman's arm in the
interest of eliminating a wristwatch, or to put an Arizona man and a Texas
woman (who had never met) together, joined at the hip, into an image, et
cetera.

But I digress. My intent was to suggest that the proliferation of the
hundreds of filters and plug-ins, designed to streamline the editing
process, has actually worked to discourage the photographer from shooting.

Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA