Re: Posting......

At 10:57 PM -0500 11/14/06, Guy Glorieux wrote:
P.P.S.   Considering that "the lady with the boats"

you talking about me???!

works with a very long lens on a small

not necessarily

boat that races the wind, up and down bumpy waves

yes

to capture some distant racing boat down and up bumpy waves

yes, but actually rarely all that distant, and not always bumpy

she's got to be a pretty darn'd good photographer

getting there

.Truly, it's a lot of movement to account for when aiming for the decisive moment of a race with a long lens...

Sure, but I have ISO 200, 1250th, a 1.6 multiplier that makes my 300mm into a 480mm, and, shooting RAW, I come home from 3 hours on the water with 700 images, about 5% of which are out of focus and only 90 of which are keepers (that's 20 rolls of film with 4 keepers per roll). And while I don't argue that there is not skill involved to getting good action in that situation, modern digital cameras that shoot 8 frames per second certainly do help me to luck out.

And, after editing the keepers for the top shots, there might be only 5 that are actually good, and none of them can compete with the top shooter in my specialty.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822