Re: [SPAM] Re: laptop? Notebook computers?

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
On 10/23/06, Stephen Ylvisaker <greyfell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Now, I don't want to restart the old Mac vs. PC debate. I'm sure you were just supplying the other side of the question so Marilyn can make an informed decision, which I hope she can, too. I just didn't want her to be making that decision on flawed or outdated information. I know I show my partiality to the one system, but, as you said, both systems can do the job.

Yeah, I'm very leary of this possibly breaking out into a flamewar
myself.  However, your alleged debunking of my objections is
completely subjective, and doesn't include one single fact I didn't
already know.  It says you don't agree with me, but doesn't provide
Marilyn any new information (at least if you'll grant that we all just
knew there were support forums on Apple's web site, just as there are
for every manufacturer).

I am, however, going to forgo the point by point debunking of your
debunking, at least for now :-).
Maybe one point is less subjective. Consumer's Reports has consistently ranked Apple Support as the best available. Period. Now we can argue whether CR is subjective, I guess. It would seem that with the new use of Intel chips in Macs so you can runs both OSX and Windows that Mac has the edge Pure speculation on my part. The cost differential is certainly a factor for many of us.
Son
PS I started with a Leading Edge years ago. Actually, with a Commodore 64 but we don't count that. I switched to Apple shortly after that as, at that time, they were much friendlier and faster for graphics and photo work. I have been with Macs ever since. I bought a couple of Windows laptops merely to familiarize myself with the OS usage. I couldn't see any compelling reason to change as even the older Macs worked as well or better for my purposes. I was responsible for maintaining the computer systems for a university photo and graphics unit and everyone was unwilling to change from Macs. Just my experience. My own feeling right now is that it makes little real difference which you use. If it works for you, then it is the system for you. If you must pay attention to cost and/or like to upgrade frequently it appears that PCs are the way to go. I still think Macs are easier and faster to use. Usually you don't have to mess with drivers when you add minor appliances etc. But there is good work being done on both systems. Like the camera arguments, it comes down to the operator more than the machine.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. -Bertrand Russell